Raewyn and I shared lots of adventures and meals in Rotorua when our children were growing up. Many of these meals involved soup and Flat Bread with plenty of butter. The leftover wedges of bread (if any) made nice filled rolls for lunches the next day.
- 3 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 ½ Cups Tepid water
- 4 ½ teaspoons Dried yeast
- 4 ½ Cups Flour
- 4 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil – plus 2 Tablepoons extra
- Dissolve sugar in water. Sprinkle the yeast over water and leave for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flour, baking Powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of olive oil and yeast mix. Mix well.
- Knead on floured board (or in mixer) till smooth and elastic (10 mins).
- Divide into two pieces
- Roll or press into a 2cm thick circle. Place on oiled oven tray.
- Brush with 2Tablespoons extra olive oil and sprinkle with rock salt, garlic &/or rosemary.
- Bake at 200°C for 10 to 15 minutes.
This recipe doubles well and also makes a good pizza base if rolled thinner.