Cockeyed cake is the first cake recipe I recall making. Kirsty P showed me how to make this recipe when we were about 10 years old in their big kitchen in Napier. The instructions given are how it was shown to me. It remains my cake of choice for teaching to beginners and makes a moist rich dark cake.
- 1 ½ c Flour
- 1 t Baking soda
- 1 C Sugar
- ½ t Salt
- 3 T Cocoa
- 1 T Vinegar
- 5 T Oil
- 1 t Vanilla
- 1 C Water
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl to make sure they are all mixed up.
- With the back of a spoon make three hollows in the top of the dry mix
- Into the biggest hollow add the Oil, put the vanilla in one and the vinegar in the other.
- Pour over the water and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Grease and line a ring tin then carefully pour the mix in – it is a runny mix.
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Lick the bowl & the spoon etc
- When cool ice with chocolate icing.
Can be cooked as a slice or in cupcakes.