This is one of the first meals that Riki, Alisha and Dianne could make and have ready to eat when I got home from work, it is timed to be ready to eat at 6pm. Samantha is doing this for the first time tonight (30/1/11) at Alishas, she is teaming it up with the Chocolate Fudge Pudding YUM YUM. The timing would actually work with any roast of about 1.5 kg.
Defrost chicken, chicken pieces or other roast overnight in fridge
- Empty oven. Turn oven on 180.
- Place chicken in roasting dish
- Melt 50 gms butter. Brush butter over chicken. Sprinkle with seasoning and put into oven
- Peel potatoes and cut into even pieces (2 per person)
- Peel Kumara and cut into even pieces (1 per person)
- Peel a wedge of pumpkin and cut (1 Piece per person)
- Put vegies into dish with meat and spray with cooking spray.
- Put into oven and set timer for 45 mins.
- Chop cabbage and put into a pot with ¼ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon salt & ¼ cup water. (you could use frozen beans or peas etc) DO NOT TURN ON
- Set the table.
- When timer goes – check that the roast is cooked through. A Food Thermometer is great for this to confirm meat is cooked to at least 70ºC in the centre – 75ºC is my preference
- Turn oven off and put plates into oven
- Turn greens on high. Make packet gravy.
- Get help to carve meat and dish up onto warm plates. Dish greens last.
20 February 2012
My lovely second cousin Dylan is staying with us and (sort of) followed the instruction to cook us a roast dinner tonight. Totally yummy and so cool to come home from work to a roast meal. Thanks Dylan.