This recipe came from Home Economics class at Colenso High School in Napier around 1977. We made this often as my brother Steve didn’t like custard. It also makes an awesome sweet fondue sauce for dipping fruit and marshmallows.
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Custard Powder
- 2 Cups Milk
- Heat sugar gently in a pot until light brown. Do this slowly and don’t let it burn.
- Mix custard powder into ¼ Cup of the milk
- Add plain milk carefully to sugar and heat gently until caramel is dissolved.
- Add the Custard Powder (in milk) stirring over a meduim heat until thickand creamy