This fried rice is cheaper than buying it from the takeaway shop and able to be tailored to suit the tastes of the family. A good clean up all the random bits and pieces meal.
This is the meal that the children ate when they were learning to use chopsticks. Riki and Dianne went on to use chopsticks for eating anything – including jelly!!
The secret is in the preparation – have the rice cooked and cooled and everything chopped and measured before you start cooking the fried rice.
This makes a large quantity of food – 10 Cups or so!!!! You will need a very big size wok or electric frypan. If your pan is smaller please cook less rice and reduce other ingredients accordingly.
- Put on a large pot ½ full of water to boil
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and 2 cups rice.
- Boil for 12 minutes, stir occasionally.
- When cooked drain and rinse with cold water.
While the rice cooks prepare any of these-
- 3 slices of bacon – chopped
- Any meat – cut into bite sized bits (pork, chicken etc)
- 2 onions – sliced
- 3 stalks of celery – slices
- 3 carrots – chopped little
- 1 teaspoon Garlic -crushed
- 1 teaspoon Ginger- grated
- Peas or beans
- 3 eggs, Beaten
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- Heat wok and fry egg like an omelette.
- Remove from wok, cool & slice.
- Fry meats and set aside
- Fry vegies – start with carrots and hard things then add others so they all cook at the same time.
- Cook for about 5 mins
- Add meat, rice and egg. Cook till heated through.
- Pour over two Soy Sauce and serve.
Variations on this are endless depending on what meats and vegetables you have in the fridge or freezer.
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Hoisin Sauce
- Cashews or peanuts
- Leave out the meat and make it all vegetarian
This is a good base to then add different flavour combinations to
- Chilli, Oregano, Chorizo, Diced tomato
- Lime, Fish Sauce, Chilli and Corriander leaves
- Tomato, Smoked paprika, Assorted Seafood
- Ham, Pineapple,Parsley, Toasted coconut, Coconut Milk
- Olives, Tomatoes (dried or cherry), Feta and Pesto