I don’t recall where this recipe came from but I do recall making this as a teenager and drinking it as a “Brown Cow” or “Black Russian” – see below. This is similar to Kahlua or Tia Maria and can be used in any recipe that calls for a Coffee Liqueur. My recipe says this will keep for 12 months but we have never needed to prove that as it disappears fairly quick.
- 4 cups Sugar
- 4½ cups Water
- 10 Tablespoons Instant Coffee
- 5 Tablespoons Vanilla Essence
- 750ml Vodka (or rum)
- In a pot, bring sugar and water to the boil.
- Simmer for 5 mins, set aside to cool .
- Mix together Coffee and vanilla then add to the syrup.
- Cool to room temperature
- Add vodka, stir well then bottle
Will keep for 12 months unless you drink it sooner.
Use to make Cocktails, serve alongside desserts such as Tiramisu, pour over Ice, use as an ingredient in Cheesecakes…..
Cocktails with Coffee Liqueur
- Brown Cow. Served over ice topped up with milk
- Black Russian 1. Served over ice topped up with Cola (Pepsi or Coke)
- Black Russian 2. Equal parts Coffee Liqueur and Vodka served over Ice
- Experiment by repalcing some of the water with Espresso shots, adjust Instant coffee accordingly
- Put a few coffee beans in each bottle, these will add to the flavour as it matures
- Enrich the taste by using 1 Cup Brown Sugar with 3 Cups white Sugar
- This recipe can form the basis of many other popular liqueurs by changing the flavours and altering the alcohol.
- For example to make an orange liqueur similar to Cointreau, Triple sec, Curacao or Grand Marnier – replace coffee and vanilla with orange essence and use Brandy rather than Vodka.
- You are only limited by the flavouring essences that you can find!!!! – don’t forget to add the appropriate coloring to make the authentic look
- Aniseed = Sambucca
- Mint = Creme de Menthe
- Chocolate = Cream de Cacao
Make many Cocktails as Non-alcoholic Mocktails…
- Make a Sugar Syrup – 2 parts water to 1 part sugar
- Add Flavour and Colour, as above, to make Liqueur substitutes
- Follow the Cocktail recipe
This is great for teenagers!!!