My son Riki made these and handed them out at Waikato Uni for April Fools Day. He said…”Brings back memories of stealing cookies off the oven tray.” The recipe, and comments are genuine and only slightly censored. We have on other occasions combined chocolate and chilli in sweet and savoury dishes. Personally I have not made or tried these and can not therefore review them. Riki does have a London City and Guilds Diploma in Pattisserie so they are most likely a well crafted cookie. They do look fantastic.
- 250g butter
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 2 Eggs
- 3 cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 cup Cocoa
- 1 1/2 cup Whittakers diary milk chocolate (grated)
- 1 vial of Chilli oil in (sesame seed oil suspension) See picture below
- 1 x 40 gram box of Chilli powder.
1. Preheat oven to 160ºC.
2. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
3 Mix in chilli oil (all of it), vanilla essence and egg.
4. Stir in flour and Cocoa.
5. Add grated Chocolate
6. Place 2 teaspoons of mixture on greased baking tray and bake in moderate oven for 10-15 minutes.
7. Sample and add chilli powder before repeating step 6 until it give you a red flush, the sweats and/or the hiccups…
(it is worth noting we had 1/8th of a 40g Gregs Chilli box left.)
8. Bake whole trays of the stuff and give to friends 3:-)
Serves 60 (unsuspecting first-year students)
Those whom like hot curries and the like said the following:
- Fuck these are good! wait… How much chilli???
- A tad less chilli next time?
- I wondered what those orange flecks were…
Those whom like their butter chicken ‘extra mild’
- FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU (genearlly while running to a tap)
- OH SHIIIIII (in the middle of my lecture while turning beat red.)
- You guys are C**ts! (while demolishing a 1.5 sipper bottle of water)
- IT BURNS OH FOR THE LOVE OF *** IT BURNS!!!! (while running in small circles).
- Wait are you telling me that was just to hide the laxatives?! (it was April 1st so yes, we did push it a bit.) no laxatives, just lots of hot follow thru the next day 😀
They smelt sooo good I was tempted all morning to eat them, but while cooking try not to get too close to the oven… the chilli oil makes the air ‘warm’ to say the least
We did eat them all, they were quite nice(if you like ‘Indian hot’ curries.)
Forever Ovenhot Double chocolate cookies
…Brings back memories of stealing cookies off the oven tray… and being punished for it