There is not really much that you can do with leftover porridge. However, Mum Phipps used this recipe to make cold gluggy porridge into a star. Porridge was the breakfast staple in Tokoroa – nice and warm on those cold frosty mornings and as my buddy, Allyson, always said “it warms you up and sticks to ya insides” thus keeping you feeling full for longer. These buns were a treat as there was not often leftover porridge.
- 1 Cup cold Porridge
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- Milk (enough to make a stiff dough)
- Mix all together well.
- Drop spoonfuls on cold greased tray or muffin pans.
- Bake 180ºC till soft and spongy when touched – about 15 minutes.
Eat while warm with butter. Oh la la.