A variation on the Roast Chicken Dinner for the advanced junior chef. The timing would actually work with any roast of about 1.5 kg.
Defrost pork or other roast overnight in fridge
- Empty oven. Turn oven on 180.
- Place meat in roasting dish
- Spray crackling with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and put into oven
- Peel 1 – 2 potatoes per person and slice thinly
- Peel 1 Onion and slice thinly
- Layer onion and potato neatly in a greased dish
- Add 2 Cups of Chicken stock
- Sprinkle top with 1/2 Cup of Grated Cheese
- Place, uncovered, in the oven. Set timer for 1 hour.
- Put 2 Cups Frozen vegetables into a pot with ¼ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon salt & ¼ cup water. DO NOT TURN ON
- Set the table with Cutlery, Salt & pepper, Apple Sauce & Spoon.
- When timer goes – check that the roast is cooked through. A Food Thermometer is great for this to confirm meat is cooked to at least 70ºC in the centre – 75ºC is my preference
- Turn oven off and put plates into oven
- Turn vegetables on high. Boil Kettle and make packet gravy.
- Get help to carve meat and dish up onto warm plates. Dish vegetables last.
Make an event of this with a some Sparkling Apple Juice in the best glasses.