There are as many recipes for pavlova as there are cooking methods. This is our favourite version that makes a soft pavlova.
- 4 Egg Whites
- Pinch cream of Tartar
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Cornflour
- 1 tablespoon Water
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Beat Egg Whites and Cream of Tartar until stiff peaks
- Gradually beat in 1/2 of the sugar
- Add remainder of sugar while still beating.
- Beat in Vanilla, Vinegar, Cornflour and Water until just combined.
- Prepare baking tray with a damp piece of greaseproof paper.
- Pile mix onto tray and form into a neat mound with a flat top.
- Put into oven, turn oven off and leave for 1 hour (do not open oven)
- Remove from oven and invert onto plate. Remove paper and leave to cool
- Cover with Whipped cream and the fruit of your choice.
Variation – Cook at 140°C for 1 hour then leave to cool in oven. This will give a crispier outer shell with a soft inside.