A country speciality from a country lady with a heart as big as the country. This is the sponge recipe that can win cake competitions and brings back happy memories from time on the farm near Tokoroa. An electric mixer saves the arms.
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 4 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 150 grams Cornflour
- 2 teaspoons baking Powder
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa
- 1 desertspoon flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease and flour two sandwich tins.
- Sift dry ingredients together
- Separate Egg yolks(small container) from the whites (large bowl)
- Dissolve sugar in hot water, heating gently if required.
- beat egg whites
- Beat Egg Whites until stiff
- Pour in the sugaryrup while still beating.
- Beat in the Yolks, and vanilla. keep beating until really stiff.
- Fold in the dry ingredients
- Gently divide between the tins and level tops.
- Bake at 180ºC for 12 – 15 mins.
When cool sandwich together with jan and cream, dust top with Icing sugar.
Variation – for a plain sponge omit Cocoa and add 1T extra cornflour.