When you come from a big family, that has big family gatherings, taking a plate brings a whole new logistical element. Karen Phipps introduced this treat to family events in Tokoroa – much to the great delight of young and old.
- ½ Cup unpopped popping Corn
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 125 grams Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Honey (or Golden Syrup)
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Peanuts (optional)
- Follow packet direction to op the corn in the oil (may need to be done in 2 batches)
- Combine Butter, Honey and Sugar in a pot.
- Heat over a low heat to dissolve.
- Boil uncovered for 5 minutes – stir occasionally.
- Pour into popped corn (and peanuts if using) and stir to combine.
- Spread on baking sheets to set then break into chunks.
- Hide until ready to serve
Variations at step 6 – Cool slightly and roll into balls, or Press into tin then cut into squares before it sets hard.