Dianne decided she felt like Indian for tea tonight and on a quick inspection of the pantry and freezer I discovered some corn fed chicken breasts and a jar of peri-peri simmer sauce. Peri-peri Chicken on Rice is a close match for Butter Chicken – even if not remotely authentic. Then I though”why not make some naan bread to go with it?”. Did a bit of googling and decided that the recipes were very similar to Raewyns Flat Bread – made some alterations…. and here is what I did.
- 1 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 ½ Cups Tepid water
- 4 ½ teaspoons Dried yeast
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream (recipes called for plain yoghurt but I had none on hand)
- 3 Cups White Flour
- 2 Cups Wholemeal Flour
- 5 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon ground Cumin seeds
- Dissolve sugar in water. Sprinkle the yeast over water and leave for 10 minutes.
- Mix Egg, Butter and Sour Cream.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, cumin and salt together in a bowl.
- Add Butter mix and egg mix to the flour and mix well.
- Knead on oiled board (or in mixer) till smooth and elastic (10 mins).
- Leave to rise for about an hour in greased bowl covered with plastic wrap
- Divide into twelve pieces and roll into balls
- Cover with oiled plastic wrap and leave to rise ½ and hour
- Roll each ball into a teardrop shape on a well oiled board.
- Brush with oil and cook on BBQ grill for 4 minutes each side or until golden.
For Garlic Naan – spread with Garlic Butter as soon as they are cooked
Leftovers will make filled panini type bread for lunches tomorrow.
I have had my Kenwood mixer since 1985 and although I dont use it as often as in the past it I love it for taking the hardwork out of recipes like this.