Was having a drink with Mum and dad last night and Mum reminded me of these tasty wee treats and how she and her dad, Dee, would eat the Neenish Tart by licking off the white icing then scooping out the filling without disturbing the chocolate icing. I came home and signalled my intention to add the recipe in the near future. Mum commented “My mum, Dee’s Anne, was appalled when she found us sitting on the back verandah steps at Battery Road, eating Neenish Tarts in this manner….. Originally she had bought the tarts in Napier at the “Brown Owl” [relatively expensive boutique bakery] but had then found the recipe in the Edmonds Cookbook and baked them only on special occasions much to Dad’s and my delight”.
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup (125g) white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and beat well.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt to form a well-kneaded dough.
- On a smooth floured surface roll out and cut circles to line the cups of a cupcake or muffin tray.
- Prick the bottoms of the tart cases with a fork a couple of times each.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Let them cool entirely on a cake rack before adding the filling.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Soften the butter and mix in icing sugar, condensed milk and lemon juice.
- Fill the tart cases with this mixture and allow it to set. Chilling helps.
- When set Ice the tops half with white icing and half with Chocolate flavoured icing.