When you have 13 beehives in the family you need to like honey and all things made from it. We had hives at the house in Napier and out on farms in the Eskdale area. Honey Bubbles were a favourite that was quick and easy to make even if they dont use that much honey!!! Go for a strong flavoured honey such as Manuka or a Bush blend as this will pump up the honey taste in the finished product.
- 125 grams Butter
- 125 grams Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 5 Cups Rice Bubbles
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla or Almond essence
- Boil Butter, Sugar and honey together gently for 4 – 5 minutes
- Carefully pour into Rice Bubbles (in a metal or glass bowl – not plastic) stir and add essence.
- Press into a flat tin to set
You can buy commercially made bars similar to these but they are so easy and cheep to make – why buy them. If you want the fancy finish then try these ideas –
- Press small lollies like M&Ms or Chocolate chips into the top of the mix before it sets.
- Drizzle melted chocolate (white, milk or dark) over the top.