Christmas fruit mince pies are a traditional treat that contain any meat but rather a mixture of spiced fruits. This recipe for Fruit Mince came from a radio show in the 1980’s and has become a family favourite not only in the traditional tarts or pies but also on pavlova, in sponge rolls, in muffins and on toast – yes on hot buttered toast om nom nom!!!
- 75 grams Butter
- 1 Cup brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed Spice
- ½ teaspoon ground Cloves
- 2 Cups currants
- ¼ Cup fine Mixed Peel (Dried or Candied)
- 2 Apples (grated)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons fresh Orange Rind
- 1/4 Cup fresh Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Sherry
- Mix all together really well
- Microwave on hight for 2 minutes then stir well
- Repeat cook & stir until the mix thickens
- Add 2 Tablespoons Brandy, Scotch or whatever you fancy
- Cool and Store in sealed jars in the fridge
This will keep for ages unless the kids find it – then its Fruit mince on toast!!!
Best Pastry to use for traditional tarts/mini pies is a sweet short pastry.
You could also try it on pikelets, in baked apples, as a shortcake slice, in filo pastry cups, warmed up as a sauce on icecream….