I first stumbled across this recipe in a cheap eats cook book and used it lots when my children were little. Later in life as I gained several vegetarian and / or gluten free friends it was resurrected to quickly, cheaply and easily cater for a range of dietary requirements. For those who are battling the bulge this is a low fat staple that allows you to enjoy those homely meals. You can tart it up with herbs, garlic, grated vegetables etc depending on your personal preferences.
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 Cup low fat Cottage Cheese
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 teaspoon Sage or Parsley
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Marmite or Vegemite (yeast extract spread)
- Mix all ingredients together and put in greased loaf tin.
- Bake approx 45 mins in moderate oven till firm and brown.
- Eat hot or cold
Variations make this a really versatile recipe.
- This recipe can also be shaped and cooked as rissoles, balls, sausages or burger patties
- Take out the herbs and add Thai seasoning, or Moroccan, or Mexican etc
- Add grated carrots, courgettes, sweet potato etc to get the kids (and Dianne) to eat their vegies
- The mix can also be used for sausage roll and party pies……..