“It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start.” Mother Teresa of Calcutta
I love this rice dish. It tastes like butter chicken – without any chicken. Quick, cheep and easy to make with nice warming flavours that even the children enjoy.
- 1 Cup Long Grain Rice
- 1 Cup diced Onion
- 1 – 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 Cups warm tap Water
- 1 Can Diced or pulped Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Celery and/or capsicum
- 1 tablespoon Stock Powder of your choice
- 50 grams Butter
- Mix all ingredients together in a large casserole
- Cover and cook for 1½ hours at 180°C
- Stir occasionally and add more water if it is drying out (this depends on your rice)
There is nothing to stop you adding chicken or sausages to this dish to make a full meal and I have also served this as a vegetarian main course with salad and on a buffet as a side dish.