I love blueberry muffins. When I worked in the Tourism and Hospitality Department at Waiariki Institute of Technology Phyl, Trish or Edith would often bake a batch of fresh blueberry muffins for morning tea – but I never got their recipe although I recall being told to use frozen blueberries so they dont ‘bleed’ into the mix. I don’t think that this is their recipe either as this is based on a recipe that foodfairie had adapted I have adapted it further to suit my ingredients on-hand and that is the beauty of this recipe. And it is super easy – it reminds me of the Cockeyed Cake recipe I have used since I was a child.
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup Blackcurrant and Apple juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 190ºC
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and stir to combine and aerate.
- In a jug, mix all of the wet ingredients.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry and mix by hand.
- When the mix is just combined, but still lumpy, add in your blueberries, then continue to mix briefly.
- Fill your muffin liners about 3/4 full and bake in a preheated oven for 23-27 minutes.
Variations – Just change the juice and fruit
- Chocolate chips and milk
- Mango and Orange juice
If you dont have Self Raising flour use 2 Cups Plain flour, 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt.