Following on from our meal at Montezumas I decided to have a go at making the Mole Pablano. I found lots of recipes, many of which were quite complicated. I liked the look of this one courtesy of Lawerence Wheeler and decided to give it a try. Once the sauce was made I decided it was missing something and added the Aniseed, Corriander and extra Cinnamon, Cloves and Nutmeg. I also left out the Capsicum as members of the household are not fond of it.
- 6 Portions Chicken – Marylands work well
- 4 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/4 C Raisins
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg (1/2)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves (1/2)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Corriander Seed
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon (1/2)
1 Green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Slices preserved Jalpeno, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (I used a tin of diced tomato)
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 Squares bitter chocolate, chopped (I added a bit extra, to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons Chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 C Chicken broth
- 1/4 C Light rum
- 1/4 C Slivered almonds (ground)
- Heat oven to 180°C
- In frypan, heat oil and cook garlic for a few moments to flavour oil; add chicken and brown.
- Place chicken in a casserole dish, cover and put into oven chicken.
- In remaining fat, cook onion, jalapeno and tomato over gentle heat for 10 minutes.
- To onion mixture, add chili powder, blending well.
- Add stock, almonds, raisins, seasonings, and rind.
- Make sure you have added all the spices, sugar, salt and pepper
- Simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Add chocolate, stirring until melted.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and return to oven.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour, then uncovered for another 1/2 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Warm rum, ignite it, and pour over contents of casserole; allow to stand for a few minutes.
Serve on Steamed rice
Garnish with Banana and pineapple coated with coconut and fried.
Accompany with Guacamole, Sour cream, pesto and corn chips.
Thanks Mum for the home-made Guacamole
BTW, OMG, Tu Meke, Bro