Popularly made as a gluten free cake – this one does have a bit of flour in it but this works just as well with Gluten free self raising flour. You could replace the flour with extra Almond meal but the texture would be much denser. Dianne decided to make this for dessert tonight and sadly it derailed our plans to go to the gym – but what a way to have your plans derailed. Lucky we have a local holiday tomorrow to finish off the other half. This should serve 8 – 10 people.
- 2 Large Oranges, washed
- 125 grams Butter
- 1 ¼ Cups Sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 2 Cups Ground Almonds (Almond meal)
- 1/2 Cup Self Raising Flour (Gluten Free if required)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder (Gluten Free if required)
- Place Oranges is a pot of water and boiled, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190ºC
- Grease and line a 22cm cake tin
- Remove oranges from water, cut into ¼’s and remove pips
- Process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Spoon into cake tin and bake for 1 hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Remove from tin to cool slightly.
To Serve –
- Drizzle with Grand Marnier or Orange Syrup
- Top with Whipped Cream or Yoghurt