Arsenic Cake aka Creme de Menthe Cake- for Halloween, St Patrick’s day or any other time when green and/or gross is appropriate
I was given the Rally Cook Book ( published by the Every Boys and Every Girls Rallies) by Mum Phipps Many years ago. Tonight my daughter Alisha asked me for the Arsenic Cake recipe for her husband. This is not a bad thing as he needs something to take to a Halloween shared lunch at his work. Alisha – this is for you and Chris.
- 125 grams Butter
- 2 Eggs (at room temperature)
- ¼ cup of Milk
- 1 teaspoon Cram of tartar
- ½ – 1 teaspoon green food colouring (how green do you want your cake?)
- 185 grams Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda (bicarbonate of Soda)
- 185 grams Flour\
- ½ – 1 teaspoon peppermint essence
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs one at a time beating really well in between ( don’t freak out id it curdles a bit)
- Dissolve Baking Soda i the milk and add to the mix.
- Add flour and Cream of tartar (sifted together if you can be bothered) then mix well.
- Add essence and colouring – the mix should look very green as it fades during cooking.
- Pour into a greased and lined tin of your choice – 15 x 18 cm x 20 cm (wtf – thats what the book says)
- bake at 375ºC for 30 minutes or until cooked by whatever method you used to determine cooked-ness.
- Cool and ice or decorate as suits the occasion.