At the end of 2006 my hubby and I travelled the 6 hour road trip to spend New Years with my brother, his wife and their two sons. While there were many memorable moments during our stay- this bowl of ‘Nuts & Bolts” made by Tris is symbolic of that holiday. I really don’t think it counts as a healthy food choice but it is better than some other options, I think. It has all the sweet, salty, spicy flavours with an assorted range of crunch textures and goes well with beer or bubbly. I would give one warning though – this stuff is seriously addictive!!!!
- 500 Grams Peanuts
- ½ Cup Cashew Nuts
- ½ Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- ¼ Cup Oil
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Bacon stock powder
- Pinch of Chilli Powder (to taste)
- 1 packet caramel Corn (size does not matter for this)
- 2 Cups Nutrigrain
- Mix oil and seasoning in an oven proof dish
- Add Nuts & seeds
- Mix really well
- Roast for about 15 minutes in a hot oven stirring often
- Mix in Caramel corn and Nutrigrain while nuts are still hot
- Spread out to cool
- Store in airtight containers.
- The bacon stock powder gives a nice savoury flavour but can be replace by Chicken stock powder or a mix of salt and herbs of your choice.
- The cooking of the nuts can be done in a frying pan but take care they don’t burn.
- Persons with nut allergies should totally avoid this
- Nutrigrain is a breakfast cereal (Google it to find your local equivalent)
- You can add other nuts, seeds, cereals or even pretzels depending on your preferences
- Use coloured Candy Corn for a multi coloured treat
Other memorable moments of the trip include –
- Stopping in to visit friends and relatives along the road trip
- Being woken at 4am by nephews that were really excited to see us
- The wet stormy weather that meant fishing with nephews had to be cancelled
- Spending time with by Brother, his wife and their boys
- Munching on a bag of ‘Nuts & Bolts’ provided for our road trip home
Looking forward to seeing them all later this week when they come here for a New Years Holiday at the start of 2013.