Daughters Alisha and Dianne were browsing my recipe books the other day looking for a Brandy Snap recipe….they came across this recipe and suggested that it would be nice if I made some. Dianne particularly loves Almonds. So with a bit of time on my hands today I got my bake on…..
- 60 grams Butter – Chilled
- 1 Cup plain Flour
- Iced water
- 120 grams Butter – Room temperature
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Cup Ground Almonds
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon Almond essence
- ¼ Cup Apricot Jam
- ¼ Cup Flaked Almonds
- 1 Tablespoons apricot Jam
- 2 teaspoons water
- squeeze of Lemon Juice
First prepare the Pastry
- Rub the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs
- Stir in enough water to make a firm dough
- Knead gently
- Wrap in cling film and chill 30 mins.
- Roll pastry out thinly and use to line 12 deep patty tins or muffin tins.
- Chill while you prepare the filling.
Make the filling
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add Egg and Essence
- Fold in flour and ground Almonds
- Do not taste it as you will gobble it all up
Put it all together
- Put ½ teaspoon of jam into each pasty case
- Top with a large teaspoonful of the filling mix
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds
- Bake for 20 Minutes
- Prepare the glaze by boiling jam and water for 1 min, add lemon juice and strain.
- Remove cooked tarts from the tin and place on a cooling rack.
- Brush liberally with the glaze while tarts are still hot
- Leave to cool.
Nom nom nom
Serving suggestions –
- Just eat them
- Serve with whipped cream or ice-cream
Nutritional note – Almonds are really good for you – so enjoy