The latest series of My Kitchen Rules featured an episode where the contestants had to make a pasta dish and were also required to feature another ingredient selected by the public – all in 30 minutes. The episode was controversial when one team struggled to get their pasts together and were able to use spare pasta from another team. The following day Dianne decided that being able to make your own pasta was a skill that all people should posses and, as it was her turn to be cooking dinner, off we went to get the ingredients and equipment necessary.
We created a plan…..
Made the Pasta
- 300 grams Flour
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon water
- pinch of salt
- Process in food processor until dough comes together
- Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic
and left it to rest….
Put our meatballs and baby tomatoes into the oven.
Made a Veloute Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Cups Beef Stock (we used Campbells because that what Manu suggests)
- Lots of fresh Thyme
- Cook Butter and flour until sandy texture
- Gradually add stock while stirring
- Add Thyme and leave to simmer for 20 mins
Rolled out the Pasta
Cooked the Pasta
Drained the pasta
Plated it up…
And served it to the table
Dianne Completed the Pasta Challenge in just a bit over the 30 minutes (nearer 60) but not bad for a first go at making her own pasta.
Notes for next time
- Remember to put the water on for the Pasta
- Cut Pasta to 30 cm lengths before cooking