The other morning as Rob & I had a breakfast of mushrooms on toast I was reminded of a Tomato Rarebit recipe that we used to make for breakfast in Napier. I think the original recipe came from Home Economics class at Napier Intermediate School but also found the Tomato Savoury recipe in the Edmonds Cookery book to me somewhat similar.
Mum & Dad have been down to stay and donated to us some of their awesome hydroponic tomatoes …so this morning I whipped us up some Tomato Rarebit for breakfast
…didn’t have the actual recipe on hand so did a combo from memory, Edmonds and ingredients available….. so heres what I did
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 500 grams tomato in 1cm slices
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped fresh Herbs (Parsley, Chives etc)
- Grated Cheese
- Melt Butter in fry pan over high heat
- Add tomato and season with Pepper
- Continue to cook without stirring for 3 – 5 minutes over a med – high heat
- Beat egg, Worcestershire and herbs then pour over Tomatoes – Turn heat off
- Leave to set (about 1 minute) then stir and serve on buttered toast.
- I like to put the grated cheese on the toast under the Tomato…or you can sprinkle it on top with some extra herbs
This is not an elegant looking dish but it is super yummy especially when made with Mum & Dads awesome Tomatoes and makes a good vegetarian breakfast or lunch. Rob recalls his Mum making something similar with tomatos cooked with curry then being thickened….might have to get that recipe to try.