Our twin grand-babies are now three. They are your typical energetic, curious, fussy, tantrum throwing three year olds – which is a great delight given their precarious entry to the world. We get to see them heaps and they have some overnight stays. Currently they are here for a three night holiday while their Mum & Dad arrange the moving of the household. Pop and I have had our hands full with toilet training, entertainment, refereeing and trying to get suitable nutrition into their mouths.
A few weeks back I discovered a little party canape that I though might appeal to the grandies…and sure enough it has been a big hit. Now when I ask what they want for dinner I am greeted by a duet of “Nans special cakes”…. so I feed them cakes.
OK, so Nans Special cakes are a wee trick on their developing minds….if it looks like a cake it must be a cake…. they even helped to make them today. I know the trick wont last forever but for now, at least, they are happily eating meat and vegies for dinner.
Heres how its done…
Nans Special Cakes – (makes 12)
- 2-3 cups of vegetables such as Potato, pumpkin & parsnip (use mostly potato to get a good finished texture)
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- Dash of milk if required (this will depend on the vegetables you use)
- Peel and dice vegetables
- Boil in lightly salted water until tender.
- Mash well and pass through a sieve to remove all lumps
- Add Butter (and milk if required) to make a smooth but fairly firm mash
- Set aside to cool slightly
While the potatoes are cooking make a meat loaf mix using your favourite recipe or
- 300 gm Mince
- 1 Cup bread crumbs
- 1 Egg
- 1 grated Carrot
- ½ Cup sauce (Tomato, BBQ, Soy etc)
- Season with chopped herbs
- Mix all together well – best done by hand!!
- Portion into greased muffin tins – Press flat
- Pipe the potato mix in a swirl on top of each meat portion
- Bake in a fairly hot oven for 30 mins
- Carefully remove from tins (I use an old fashioned butter knife for this)
- Cool for 5 – 10 mins before serving
Variations – for young and old
- Use Chicken mince
- Use a fish cake mix
- Make a vegetarian “meat” mix
- Add some mild curry or sweet chilli to the meat
- Make in mini muffin tins for bite size “cakes”
- Serve with Tomato Sauce