WOW this desert needs a new name!!! Please help.
In my efforts to create some new flavors for Christmas catering 2013 I came across a concept for these desserts which I then adapted to suit my families preferences. Although I was going for a plated Christmas Eve menu I wanted a small dessert that encompassed the historical and traditional elements of a Christmas dessert buffet – and this is what we ended up with. The Christmas pudding mince pie tiramisu trifle.
So what Christmas desserts do we have represented in here –
- Christmas Pudding – Rich Mixed fruit, Custard & Cream
- Mince Pie – Short bread, Fruit Mince Filling
- Tiramisu – Layers of Sponge, Coffee Cream & Chocolate syrup
- Trifle – Sponge, Fruit & Creamy Custard (Sherry optional**)
What you need to prepare (quantities are general)
- 6 commercial Christmas mince tarts roughly chopped
- 1 – 2 Cups of Custard – home made or Commercial
- 300mls Cream – Whipped with Vanilla, 1 teaspoon Sugar and 1 Shot of cooled Espresso*
- Tinned pears – Diced
- Commercial or home made chocolate topping
So here is how it came together
- Check how many people are coming to dinner, check again – you don’t want to be 1 short!!!!
- If unsure make 2 extras – you can always eat them next day.
- Select serving glasses – I like the verines I used – they hold about 200mls – wine glasses work well too
- Drizzle chocolate sauce around inside of each glass – dont be too fussy
- Start layering…
- Divide ⅓ of Mince pies into glasses
- Blob of Custard
- Allocate ½ the Diced pears
- Use ½ of the cream on the next layer
- Divide another ⅓ of Mince pies into glasses
- Blob of Custard
- Remainder of the Diced pears
- Other ½ of the cream
- Arrange rest of the Mince pies on the top
- Put in the fridge for a couple of hours
*Use 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon water if you don’t have espresso or use a tablespoon of Coffee Liqueur
** If using Sherry, Drizzle on first two layers of mince tarts
***We had ours alcohol free and served it on the side for those who wished to partake – Sherry, Scotch, Coffee Liqueur or Almond Liqueur all worked well. Pour it on, sip alongside or both!!
…And here is where you get to help by suggesting a new name…..
Poll Results as at 1/12/14
Awesomeasu & Yummy Yuletide Dessert