My original plan was to do my workouts on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. This worked well for my first week. With the arrival of an important houseguest on Monday evening, at the end of week 1, there was plenty of discussion around health and fitness. On Thursday morning we decided to miss exercise (although I could have gone alone) then, yesterday was a scheduled rest day….thus I have had 4 days since my last workout. Up early and back to it today – repeating the week 1 schedule.
- I am doing this for me and I need to commit to my schedule no matter what
- Planned to take Cuz Brons advice and go out 14 mins then turn and return – on my original circuit therby avoiding the steep hill.
- Got to the park and did a few laps then headed back
- Calves a bit of an issue still – but now I know why (see Below)
Same as for Week 1 Day 1 – Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. 5 Minute cooldown walk.
- Stretched when I got home
- Distance of 2.6km in 28 minutes
Today I realised a few important things while I was doing my thing
- We learn to crawl, then walk, then run.
- This learning occurs best on flat ground
- Changes in surface affect learning outcomes
In the years that I was involved in athletics and harriers (road & cross country) we spent time training for and hopefully mastering different techniques for running on different surfnces (track, grass, road, wet, dry etc) and gradients both up and down. While one would hope that there would be some retention of this information in both intellectual and muscle memory – after 30 years I realised there is no memory in either.
- I need to re learn how to run – mentally and physically.
- The curcuit I am running is not a beginners circuit – with a total of 30 meters clumb.
- I need to master a flat even circuit until my calf muscles are ready to look at inclines and random surfaces
- I set myself up to fail by not thinking it through…but its OK cos I didnt fail!!!
Time to redesign my route.
Total workouts done = 4