My big son has arrived for his annual pilgrimage to see the family. It is great to have him here, but he is a bit of a distraction. Added to that we have had our twin grandbabies turning four, and a bit of day travel for work. With my family, and many others, when we get together we eat, drink and make merry. All of this has attempted to derail the program….only attempted to….and I have had to be a bit creative about getting in my workouts.
The plan had been to step up this week but as it was Rikis first week, I decided to be gentle on him (Thats my story anyway) and repeat week one. On Thursday morning we did the flatter circuit (two laps) quite comfotably, actually Riki did much better than me, probably because he is 20 years younger! His additional speed spurred me on in the runs and we ended up home ahead of time having covered the two laps in 25 minutes. This is good.
We were in Caloundra on Friday night and convinced daughter Alisha and her husband Chris to join us for a waterfront workout on Saturday morning. My Mum and Dad watched the grandies and got breakfast underway as we set off along the picturesque Golden Beach boardwalk and paved paths. We were a bit later heading out and the day had already warmed up more than I would have liked but the almost flat path was being bathed in a light seabreeze that was perfect for our workout. I very quickly realised that a morning after workout is not a pleasant experience, even if it is along the waterfront, having an impact on my breathing and muscles…. so much to remember!!! Riki and Chris soon left Alisha and I in the dust and I think Alisha probably could have left me behind too but was being polite.
Yesterday, Monday, was to be a workout day but the morning started slowly for some and I delayed my start…..all day. Later in the day we were at Diannes for a swim and I did 12 lengths of the pool to atone. Dont feel bad about not doing the prescribed workout because I did do something, which is better than nothing.
- My goal was to run, and run I have.
- I am concious that I need to pace myself because if I get an injury, I will stop and may not start again.
- 30 minutes of activity 3 times per week is good for me
Where to from here for the next week?
- Today and tomorrow are rest days
- We have a long weekend and are going to Caloundra for three nights
- It was 22ºC when I got up at 6am today
- I plan to continue with Week 1 workouts, or another activity such as swimming, 3xpw until I am comfortable with my fitness level
Same as for Week 1 Day 1
- Brisk five-minute warmup walk.
- Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
- 5 Minute cooldown walk.
I may never run 5k but I am moving!!!
Total workouts done = 9