This rich, golden syrup-topped cheesecake is a salute to the tradition of the ANZAC biscuit as we mark the centenary of WWI.
You will need to start this recipe the day before you plan to eat it.
Cheesecake Base & Filling
- 1 1/4 cups traditional rolled oats
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 75g butter
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 500g cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
Golden syrup caramel
- 60g butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons thickened cream
Preheat oven to 150C/130C fan-forced. Grease and line the base of a 20cm-round (base) springform pan.
Combine rolled oats, flour and coconut in a bowl.
Place butter, golden syrup and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until melted and smooth. Stand for 2 minutes.
Add butter mixture to coconut mixture. Mix well to combine. Stand for 5 minutes. Press mixture over base and side of prepared pan, leaving a 1cm border around top edge of pan.
Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just combined. Pour mixture into pan, levelling top with spatula.
- Place pan on baking tray. Bake for 50 minutes or until filling is just set (cake will wobble slightly in the centre). Turn oven off. Cool cheesecake in oven for 1 hour with door slightly ajar. Cool at room temperature. Refrigerate overnight.
Meanwhile, make Golden syrup caramel:
- Place butter, brown sugar and golden syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Stir in cream. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cool for 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Cover. Refrigerate overnight.
Remove cheesecake from pan.
Stand cheesecake and sauce at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Drizzle golden syrup caramel over centre of cheesecake. Serve.
Variation: Give the crust a bit of zest by adding 1/4 teaspoon of mixed spice to the oat mixture in step 2
Want to make some other ANZAC Day treats?
Lest We Forget
Cheesecake Source : Taste.com.au
Recipe: Kim Coverdale