Once again, I felt the need to make a dessert to follow dinner, after all we had company. Sometimes it is hard to entertain while you have your own nutritional goals to achieve. Not wanting the guests to feel that I have prepared several different meals, and wanting to make a good impression…. these dainty little Low Carb High Fat mousses seemed to fit the bill. The recipe did call for some artificial sweetener but as I am not a big fan of this, I left it out and added a bit of Vanilla extract for a sweet note.
- 125 grams Cream Cheese
- 1/8 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind – shredded fine
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Cream
- pinch of Salt
- 1/4 Cup Crushed Nuts (Macadamia & Walnut)
- Beat the Cream cheese until smooth
- Add Lemon juice, rind & vanilla while still beating
- Gradually add the cream and keep beating until the mix thickens
- Check flavour and add more lemon or Vanilla to taste
- Feel free to add a drop or two of sweetener if you feel it needs it
- Spoon into Verrines or small galsses – this mix made 3 x 1/2 cup serves
- Garnish with the nuts
These were really nice but I would like to try a few variations
- Layer the Nuts and Mousse in the glass
- Maybe toast the nuts
- Try Lime juice (not lemon) and toasted Coconut (not nuts)
- Perhaps use some Manderin or Orange to replace some of the Lemon
- Make an LCHF Crust or base to put it in as a pie or little tarts
This recipe is part of a collection of LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) recipes that I have been experimenting with. These are not neccessarily original although may have been adapted and blended from recipes readily available online. This collection is some that I have tried and enjoyed, collated here for my convenience and yours. Where the recipe is an LCHF adaptation of another recipe that I have already shared, I shall link them…because I can.
I am not a Doctor, nor am I a nutritionist. Fat:Carb:Protein content will depend on what variations you use. Read more about LCHF eating here and always seek professional advice that is specific to your circumstances.