A quick search of the internet will reveal that there are many variations of the quick easy LCHF one minute Muffin – but I was wanting a softer spongier texture for a trifle. As with most baking, the ingredient for many things (cake, pancake, pikelet, muffin) are the same with a vatiation in ratios and methods….and thus the recipe for a LCHF One Minute Sponge happened.
I am avoiding using any sugar substitutes in my LCHF way of Eating but many of the ingredients in this sponge are naturally sweet giving a nice gentle sweetness.
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 egg – Separated
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Cream
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 3 Tablespoons Almond Flour or meal
- 2 teaspoons Coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- Mix together almond, coconut and baking powder in a bowl.
- Melt butter in microwave proof ramekin ( 2 – 3 Cup) for 20-30 seconds
- Beat Egg yolk, Vanilla and Cream until creamy
- Add dry ingredients and fold in carefully
- Fold in melted butter
- Whip egg white until stiff
- Fold in ½ the egg white to the batter
- Gently fold in remaining egg white.
- Return to buttery ramekin
- Microwave for 1 minute.- (add 10 – 20 seconds depending on your microwave)
- Let cool for a couple of seconds before taking out of the Ramekin
NOTE – Folding in the ingredients allows plenty of air in the mixture for lightness. Be careful and thorough – but dont beat it.
- For a larger sponge, I multiply this by four and bake in an 20cm cake pan- line with baking paper Bake at 150-180ºC for 20-25 mins
- For a sweeter “Coconut Cake” use Coconut Oil and Coconut Cream.
- Top with Cream and berries
- I use this for my LCHF Trifle